175+ children have died because of hunger. There’s no infrastructure. Please help Taimur Rehman in saving these innocent lives and giving them a good standard of living.
TaimurRehman — He is an IT entrepreneur and head a company ‘webmekanics’. He is also working as a Web Consultant for UNICEF for End Polio in Pakistan. With this, he is also into reviving the lost art form of story-telling and have performed at TEDx, Children Literature Festival – Islamabad & South Asian Literature Festival – London. He participates in social issues/causes and it was last year when he volunteered in the same way for Joseph Colony incident which took place in Lahore.
Taimur is a father of a 3 year adorable boy and he just couldn’t come to terms that a child has died of hunger. He choked. He couldn’t breathe. The very next moment, he created a Facebook page www.facebook.com/helpingtharand shared with his friends. Surprisingly within hours, he had people liking the page and commenting on stuff he was posting. He made a call for donations. In the meanwhile, he contacted Cecil & Iris Chaudhry Foundation for logistics, food buying, Thar situation etc and they teamed up.
Within 10 days Taimur managed to raise $10,000 with the help of friends. He went to Lahore and with Michelle Chaudhry’s support (Head of CICF) they bought 100 ration packs for 100 families (average size: 6) lasting a month. The ration pack included: 10Kg Flour, 5Kg Rice, 5Kg Daal (5 types), Wheat, Barley, 5Kg Banaspati Ghee, Iodized Salt, Rooh Afza, Toilet Soap & Laundry Soap). In parallel, he contacted Nestle and they gave 3000 water cans, 5 ltr each which he transported from Hyderabed to Mitthi. All this happened within days and he was able to send a truck of food from Lahore to Mitthi which reached there in 2 days. All this stuff was distributed amongst families there with proper details as in Name & Family Number (written on NIC Cards). This quick action was taken just to facilitate families and save them from malnutrition. This was Phase-I.
This campaign is important to Taimur for one reason: He loves humanity. He cannot come to terms that someone can die of hunger. He wants to give what all he can to the people of Tharparkar, Pakistan.
Taimur is now moving towards a more sustainable model to be implemented in Thar and actually make it a model village. Following are a few areas where he is working on these days:
3. Education (A Primary & Middle School)
4. Community Centre (Where inter-faith harmony is THE focus and people are allowed to practice their faith/religion freely)
5. Children Parks
6. Low Cost Housing – Solar Powered (2 bedrooms, courtyard, one toilet)
7. Financial Assistance for small business (with minimum $500. The model is to give this money to the owner and get 10% back every month he/she earns from the profit. Invest this amount into a mutual fund every month and give all the money back to them after a year)
8. Health & Hygiene Centre – With two doctors available full time
Latest posts by @aey (see all)
- ‘Honored to play the role of Alamgir – a living legend’, says Fawad Khan - January 25, 2016
- How Gillette Made Me Live My Bond Moments - November 21, 2015
- Trends Watch: #JashneAzadiWithJSMU - August 13, 2015
- 6 Pakistani Parody Twitter Accounts You Will Love To Follow - March 9, 2015